Friday, June 09, 2006

Baby, You Can Drive My Car

Am I the only one who's noticed a striking similarity between a certain lame ad campaign for a certain oil company and a new summer blockbuster by the golden boys at a certain animation studio?

"It's completely and legally different!" they scream. "The headlights are not the eyes in our new movie; the eyes are actually the windshield! Plus, our cars don't show nearly as much scary tooth when they smile!"

"No, no, you're absolutely right," I calmly respond, "but have you spoken with Mr. Kit's attourney yet? I understand he's rather upset that he wasn't asked to be in the film, seeing as he was one of the first talking cars."

"That stupid car didn't even have eyes! And it's mouth was just a series of red dashes! That's crap!"

This post brought to you by:

7 comments:

AmberO at Sleeping is for Sissies said...

When I first started seeing previews for this movie about a year ago, I actually thought it was somehow connected with the Chevron commercials. But what bothers me most about this movie is that they appear to be using actual makes and models. And, since they're race cars, they have logos all over them--some of which appear to be real corporate logos. I usually love Pixar movies, but this just looks like one long commercial. I think I'll skip it.

Bibb Leo File said...

They are using actual makes and models, a-dub! In fact, the photo on my blog of the blue Porsche is an actual, real-life car! They made a bunch of prototypes with the cartoon facial features to tour around and promote the film. What a spectacular waste of a great car!

AmberO at Sleeping is for Sissies said...

Eeeewwwww.

Anonymous said...

Yeah... the whole Cars thing has left me rather nonplussed.

Fork said...

Don't those cars look rather like automobile versions of the wide-eyed, no-armed/legged VeggieTales gang? They even bop and squish while talking--just like Bob and Larry.

I wanna know what they're planning next. Disney/Pixar presents A Toaster Oven's Story?

If the folks at Pixar admire Miyazaki's anime films so much, I don't know why they haven't tried their hands at an original CGI fantasy along the lines of Spirited Away or Howl's Moving Castle.

AmberO at Sleeping is for Sissies said...

Hey, I really liked The Brave Little Toaster when I was a kid!

Bibb Leo File said...

For the record, I went to see Cars over the weekend and was genuinely entertained. Though I still think they look a little too realistic for comfort, I found the film to be pretty dang fun. Pixar scores again. I swear, John Lasseter has made some sort of Faustian bargain somewhere along the way.