Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Just Call Me Barbossa...

I have a confession to make, me bloggies. I have become something of a Steve the Pirate of late. I wear my psuedo-pirate hat slightly askew on my long piratey locks of flowing red hair. I find myself calling people things like "love" and "poppet" more and more, and once yesterday I followed up a question to my wife with the word "savvy".

I pilot my B3000 Mazda Pickup as though she were a fine sailing ship (I even rechristened her as The Black Pearl), and I have hung my little Happy Meal stuffed Jack Sparrow toy from the rear-view mirror. I know it won't be long before I order a Jolly Roger decal online and slap that puppy on the tailgate. What has become of me? I suppose I should have seen it coming; several people at my former job told me I had the heart of a pirate. I'm actually not making this up. My boss's supervisor (the Dean of Students at St. Engelbert's University) told me that she could see me as a pirate. Several students made similar observations.

So should I succumb to these apparently inherent, to coin a phrase, "pirateristics" that so many others have picked up on? Or should I strive to retain a sense of human decency and remain a humble student of English literature? Hmm ... may be I can do the both of 'em. Fair winds, me buckos!

For more piratey-type stuff for those of you dogs out there who just can't get enough and want to go on the account, try some of the following links to merry mischief!

Buccaneer Books
On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers
The Letter of Marque by Patrick O'Brian
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini
The Island by Peter Benchley
Cup of Gold by John Steinbeck
Red Rover by James Fenimore Cooper
The Offshore Pirate by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Pirate Music
The Corsairs
The Seadogs
The Jolly Rogers

Pirate Movies
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
Walt Disney's Treasure Island
The Muppets Treasure Island
Captain Blood
Blackbeard the Pirate
Captain Kidd
The Island
Long John Silver
Nate and Hayes

and others...

Salmagundi
International Talk Like a Pirate Day
Historical Information
Definition of Piracy
Billy Bones' Pirate Locker


2 comments:

Fork said...

Life upon the high seas sounds like great fun, but can you really give up your toothbrush? Deodorant?

I think I know what someone's going to be for Halloween this year...

Bibb Leo File said...

Perhaps I could be the first hygienic pirate. They make travel size everything nowadays.

And for your information, I'm planning on being George Harrison for Halloween...

...Cap'n George Harrison.