Saturday, January 27, 2007

They Were Totally Doing It Together

Yes, I thought that might capture your attention, you naughty blogfiends. Of course, what I mean is that they were totally writing kick-ass Elizabethan drama at about the same time. What did you think I meant?

For reals, though, my Shakespeare seminar for this semester is entitled "Shakespeare & Marlowe: Friends & Lovers." Thus far we haven't supposed anything untoward about the sexual (mis)adventures of the world's favorite bard and his openly homosexual (and atheist) contemporary Christopher Marlowe, but we do know that they were in London at the same time and shared some of the same hangouts (as brilliantly imagined in Stoppard's Shakespeare in Love). And according to the historical accounts, practically everyone was at least "bi-curious" in those filthy, poop-in-the-streets Renaissance days.

And after all, why is Antonio so sad at the beginning of The Merchant of Venice? Could it be because he cannot officially 'get it on' with his "bosom lover" Bassanio? And who is the mysterious Mr. W. H. of the sonnets? The world may never know.

So whaddya think, blogsters? Was Willy into showtunes and interior design? If not, what's with all the penis jokes and cross-dressing in the plays? If so, was he Chris Marlowe's "bosom lover"? Leave your comment, and the truth will "out"!

6 comments:

AmberO at Sleeping is for Sissies said...

I always thought the cross-dressing thing was just to accommodate (and poke fun at) the fact that the leading lady was played by a little dude anyway. Like, add another layer to the joke? Maybe I'm just naive. Or maybe you have a dirty mind.

Fork said...

This is the second time I've come to this post and tried to be clever. I just can't do it. I don't think I'm gonna touch this one.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Forky... I keep trying, but failing. I may not be up to this one.

Bibb Leo File said...

Lightweights! You call yourselves actors? You have to be brave and rail against the Bard's alleged dirty deeds from time to time! Read Sonnet #20, if ye doubteth this my word!

HA! Take that, Renaissance Studies! Long live Victorianism! You know, Dickens never lusted after young boys dressed as girls dressed as boys.

Fork said...

Jane Austen did though! And HOW!

Fork said...

And I've got news for you. We're STILL in those filthy poop-in-the-streets days. The only thing this City is missing is cockney women cackling as they empty their chamber pots onto the street below.

GEEZE! There's that dog in the warm-up suit again!! And me without my friggin' CAMERA!