Sunday, January 21, 2007

Oy! Revival!

I Sang For the Jews...Again!

Forget all those gloomy plays like I Never Sang For My Father, I Never Saw Another Butterfly, and Edith Stein!
Make way for the newest stage musical sensation ...

I Sang For the Jews...Again!

Join in the mishegas this fall with the long-awaited arrival of Goyem McSchmuck's newest revival of an outdated musical hit I Sang For the Jews . . . Again! It's sure to be a kosher Yiddishkayt simcha and a half! Boytchiks and meydeles alike will revel in the toe-tapping music provided by those state-famous klezmers ...

The Farshluginers!

That's right, fresh from their tour of the upper Midwest part of Iowa, these talented knakers are itchin' to tickle your music bone! And McSchmuck's extravaganza doesn't stop there! You'll kvel when you hear the vocal stylings of ...

The Platzers!

And don't worry; the story is good clean fun and appropriate for ganse mishpochah! A young Yiddish minstrel named Yavel must find his place in the harsh and domineering world of his elders, who want him to become a rabbi and marry Bookzel, the town librarian. But Yavel has other plans. He falls under the spell of Flavva, a wandering gypsy who steals his heart ... and his money! After a whirlwind romance, Yavel must choose to either follow his heart and bridge the cultural gap between his Hasidic village and the gypsy tribe through music or else abandon his newfound love to begin shul. And this moyshe kapoyer kvetches and shvitzes more than any mensch you know when it comes to shul! It's Romeo & Juliet meets Fiddler on the Roof with a bisl of kishef!

Cheer Yavel on as he goes up against the oppressive traditions of the Chutzpah Brotherhood and teaches them all how to be a little less farchadat. You'll be farklempt, you'll be frayleich, and maybe even a little tsetumult, but you'll get a kick out of their shtick!

So run, don't walk to pick up your tickets now! This show is one tsimmes that gets every melamed's hekhsher!

(For a glossary of Yiddish terms used in this playbill, visit www.koshernosh.com/dictiona.htm)

4 comments:

Fork said...

That's funny. Yesterday I played Wii for the Jews.

Anonymous said...

I've recently found Jews good for staying off drugs. Nice expansive use of the vocab there!

AmberO at Sleeping is for Sissies said...

That sounds like one farkakte play.

Bibb Leo File said...

So many comments...

I promised myself I wouldn't cry...

I'm getting a little farklempt...

Talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic:

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.