Wednesday, June 18, 2008

London Countdown: T-Minus 3 Weeks

Captain Bibb's Blog: Stardate 061808.3
In the interests of time, I must make my entry a bit shorter today. Preparations for landing have begun (such activities take a good deal longer when you're traveling by space balloon than they do when you use interplanetary vessels like Light Clippers and Solar Schooners), and there are a million things to do every minute. To be honest, I am grateful for the distraction of overseeing the landing because to focus on what happens afterwards is to neglect my official duties as captain. Nevertheless, we received our British transport passes this afternoon via satellite transfer, and seeing the destinations printed on them proved to be another source of the seemingly inexhaustable excitement generated by this journey. To think, I shall walk the streets of Oxford! An uninspiring prospect for some, but the pinnacle of existence for one such as I.

Well, my engineer just notified me that I am needed on the lower basket, where a portion of our hull seems to be unravelling due to the stresses of our descent through the atmosphere. We must also begin the ballast disintegration procedure over the next few hours or else run the risk of being swept off course by the powerful upper winds of the North Atlantic jet stream. Busy days! But the island grows very near, indeed, and my heart leaps within me.

No comments: